Lyman, South Carolina

City hall picture

 Welcome to the Town of Lyman! 

Are you considering opening a new business or relocating your existing business in the wonderful Town of Lyman?
This page will guide you through all of the important information you will need as a New Town of Lyman business!

Opening a New Business
Below are the necessary steps you will need to take to begin your business within the Town of Lyman:

  1. Zoning Approval
    • Every Business will need to contact the Planning & Zoning Department to obtain Zoning Verification for their business and discuss any future permitting or signage guidelines. 
  2. Business License
    • Businesses must obtain a city business license before the start of business. Licenses are issued at City Hall. Call the Business License Official Lorie Hamrick at 864-485-0366 for more information.
    • The following information is needed to issue the business license:
      Contact Name
      Contact Information
      Business Mailing Address
      Business Name
      Physical Address of Business
      Description of Type of Business
      Federal ID Number or Social Security Number
      DHEC permit (when required)
      ABC License (when required)
      South Carolina Retail Sales Tax License (when required)

  3. Certificate of Occupancy
    • Following Zoning & Business License Approval, all businesses will need to contact CC&I Services for a Certificate of Occupancy prior to opening. 
    • You may submit your application to CC&I Services online at Citizen Portal ( 
      If you prefer, you may also go in person to CC&I Services , 4795 S. Church Street Ext., Suite 2, Roebuck, SC  29376.  CC& I Services Office Number: 864.586.6111
  4. DHEC
    • Businesses involved in food processing, storage, or distribution must have the necessary permits from the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control. Contact Spartanburg County Department of Health for instructions and inspections.

      Spartanburg County Health Department
      151 E Wood Street
      Spartanburg, SC 29305
      DHEC Phone: 864-596-2227

  5.  South Carolina Retail Sales Tax License
  6. Alcohol & Beverage License
    • Businesses that intend to sell or furnish beer or wine must have a retail alcohol and beverage permit. It is illegal to operate a business without the proper permit.
    • Applications are available through the Alcohol Beverage Licensing Department with the South Carolina Department of Revenue. You can contact their office at:
      • South Carolina Alcoholic Beverage Licensing
      • Phone: 803-898-5864
      • Fax: 803-896-0110
  7. Hospitality Tax
    • A 2% Hospitality Tax is collected on all prepared or modified foods and beverages.

Things to Consider:
  • Yearly renewals- Business License and Fire Marshall visit
  • Police Trespass Policy
  • Trash Pickup information
  • Code Enforcement Tips

Additional Resources:
- South Carolina Department of Revenue
- South Carolina Business One Stop
- We Shop SC
- Spartanburg Chamber of Commerce

If you have any questions or need to speak with someone regarding your business, please contact
Business License Official, Lorie Hamrick: 
Office:   864-485-0366
Cell:        864-270-6114
Fax:         864-438-5162